I actually have some “during” pictures. I started to peel off the wallpaper in the half bath. The top half came off pretty easily. My husband had to use the steamer on the bottom half. Before he got too far, he asked me what I was going to do with the walls. Then I remembered I wanted to put up beadboard. I had forgotten all about that! So he decided we didn’t need to take off the wallpaper. I thought maybe taking off the wallpaper was the right thing to do, but he doesn’t think this is necessary. Nothing seems moldy so I guess that’s okay. I want wooden shelves and brackets. The beadboard will be painted white and the shelves and brackets will be painted yellow.
I wish I had room for another sink, but I don’t. I want to put the microwave in the pantry where the sink is. I need more counter space in the kitchen. Before and during pictures are supposed to be bad, right?! These are absolutely terrible. (I really need to find my camera charger!)
Thanks to Linda for hosting the ORC. You can see the other participants’ ORC projects by using this link:
My husband painted the parlor. The walls are now pumpkin patch. That’s Benjamin Moore’s terracotta, I guess. Here are a few pictures taken at night. I’ll take some during the daytime and post them later.
This is the bay window that juts out at an odd angle. Just another example of Queen Anne Victorians’ asymmetry. I don’t think there’s any symmetry to the parlor at all! There’s my great-grandfather on the right. (He’s in the picture!) His doctor in Ireland told him to move to America because he had asthma. He moved to Pittsburgh around 1921 and worked in the steel mills. He never had any more trouble with asthma!
After a long hiatus I hadn’t planned, I’ve decided to do another blog post! The summer really flew by. August was really busy. I really got tired of the old wallpaper in our parlor quite a while back and tore the old stuff off the walls. Unfortunately, the backing stayed put! I thought I would cover up the seams with some temporary wallpaper border, so I got some and started to put that up. I didn’t get very far with that project. I decided the border was too expensive when I discovered I didn’t have enough, so I bought some ribbon and thumb tacks. I never put any ribbon up. My husband didn’t seem too impressed with the whole idea. So we had to look at the ugly seams for a long time, but at least the old, blah herringbone wallpaper was gone!
Just lately, my husband decided to steam off the wallpaper backing. After stripping off grasscloth upstairs in the library, he was dreading this job, but surprisingly everything went well. This time the stuff came off quite easily and also quite quickly. The parlor is smaller and there are two doors, six windows, and two doorways! Here are some pictures:
You can see a little bit of the wallpaper border behind the lamp.
I couldn’t find any pictures of the parlor with the old wallpaper, but the same stuff is in our vestibule, which is currently a storage (really a junk!) closet. When I get that cleaned out, I’ll post a picture.
We’re trying to pick out some paint. We want terracotta. We got several swatches at the Benjamin Moore dealer and think we’ll try pumpkin patch.